There are a lot less places in India that house wildlife. If you are a wildlife enthusiast and wish to explore some places that do house them to survey, then the Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary of Ahmedabad is the place for you! Let us first discuss a few facts and attractions of the Gir National Park.
- Along with being the sole home for Asiatic lions, the place also houses about 38 species of mammals, 300 species of birds, 37 species of reptiles, and over 2000 species of insects! So, if you decide to visit the sanctuary, you’ll get a chance to see most of these species in their natural habitat. So, get cheap flight tickets from Hyderabad to Ahmedabad online and get your trip planning and booking done for an incredible experience at Gir!
- Initially the Gir Forest, it was turned into a wildlife sanctuary in the year 1965 and established as a national park later in 1975.
- Covering a vast area of 1,412 square kilometers, the Gir Forest was a ground for hunting back in the day for the Nawabs of Junagadh. It was declared as a protected area by Nawab Sir Muhammad RasulKhanji Babi by 1900 after monitoring a drastic drop in the population of lions.
- Winter and early summer months are when the Gir National Park experiences most visitors’ due to the convenient weather for exploring the whole place at leisure. So, you might want to keep this in mind and go visit the place during these months for the best experience!
- Apart from the Asiatic lions, of course, some other major wildlife attractions of Gir include Indian leopard, sloth bear, Indian cobra, golden jackal, and a few others. Most if not these are easily sighted while exploring the park.
- The major reptile species include tortoise, the mugger crocodile and the monitor lizard occupying the water bodies present in the sanctuary. While mammals like porcupine, hare, and pangolin can also be sighted in certain areas throughout the place.
- Now coming to the vast species count of birds in the sanctuary, the ones found here are six species of vultures, crested hawk-eagle, crested serpent eagle, Indian eagle owl, woodpecker, black-headed oriole, brown fish owl and a few more. Intriguing? Sure, a lot of these species are indeed intriguing, a visit to Gir for spotting some of these for yourself would be best to find out more!
- The Asian lions found in the national park were once found across North Africa, southwest Asia, and northern Greece. It is amazing to see all these lions acquired from all different areas protected and housed at one huge place. These occupy an open dry forest as a part of Gir.
- To enjoy the beauty of the national park, one can also decide to spend the night or maybe even a few days in the Gir Forest. This can be done by booking your stay at any of the hotel and resorts available in Gir.
With all the species, it holds, and the entire open ambiance itself, Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary are sure to provide a fresh and amazing experience to all the wildlife enthusiasts. This place is perfect to explore all the various species and wildlife at its best! You will be provided with jeep safaris for safe as well as better experience for moving around and exploring the park. So, take a ride to the Gir National Park now to satisfy your love for wildlife and other mammals! All you have to do to get cheap flight tickets from Hyderabad to Ahmedabad is to head over to any of the travel biggies functioning online and get your trip booked going easy on your pocket! Moreover, get ready for an adventure to remember!