How to do Prasarita Padahastasana
- Stand erect with your feet 3-4 feet apart, balanced and firmly grounded. Breathe gentle deep breaths.
- Inhale, lengthen the spine, stretch arms overhead.
- Exhale, bend forward from the hip joints, keeping the spine straight.
- Place hands on the floor, under the shoulders. Inhale, exhale gentle deep breaths.
- Lifting the hips up, bend further as you breath out to bring the head toward the floor in between the hands.
- Separate the thighs. If you are stable, you can separate your feet further apart, maintaining the balance and firmness.
- Breathing out, press your hands firmly on the floor to deepen the bend. If your hands reach the feet, get hold of your big toes and pull on them to get a deeper bend.
- Inhale, stretch the arms to the front and lift upslowly.
- Exhale, bring the arms to the sides.
Benefits of the Prasarita Padahastasana
- Strengthens the legs and feet.
- Lengthens the spine.
- Stretches the hamstrings.
- Strengthens the abdomen.
Contraindications of the Prasarita Padahastasana
- People suffering from lower back pain should avoid stretching to the fullest as it might aggregate the condition.
View All – Standing Yoga Asanas
<<Tree PoseWarrior Pose >>
Yoga practice helps develop the body and mind bringing a lot of health benefits yet is not a substitute for medicine. It is important to learn and practice yoga postures under the supervision of a trained Art Of Living Yoga teacher. In case of any medical condition, practice yoga postures after consulting a doctor and a Art Of Living Yoga teacher. Find a Art Of Living Yoga course at an Art of Living Center near you. Do you need information on courses or share feedback? Write to us [email protected]