Potatoes are a staple ingredient consumed in a variety of dishes around the world. They are the fourth most consumed crop in the world, after rice, wheat and corn. Potatoes are known by many names some of them are as “Aloo” in Hindi, “Urulai Kizhangu” in Tamil, “Alu Gadde” in Kannada, “Batata” in Marathi, “Gol Alu” in Bengali and so on.
This starchy vegetable are loaded with manganese, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, niacin vitamins C and B6. Compared to other vegetables like cauliflower, onions, tomtoes, they can last for months with right storing techniques.
They have many other uses outside the kitchen. Many big industries like textile, wood, paper, pharmaceutical and oil drilling firms use potato starch as a binder, adhesive and texture agent.
Potatoes has the ability to improve digestion, reduce cholesterol levels, boost heart health, increase circulationprevent cancer, aids in eye care, strengthen the immune system, reduce signs of aging,reduce blood pressure and reduce insomnia.
Types of potatoes:
Russet – These large-sized potatoes are also known as Idaho potatoes.
Fingerling – These are finger-shaped and small.
Red – These round, small, red thin-skinned potatoes have a waxy flesh.
White – They have a thin golden colored skin and they are waxy in texture.
Purple – They have moist and purple color adds a vibrant color to various dishes.
Vitamin Content: 100 gm serving of potatoes will contain about 17 mg of vitamin C.
Water Content: Water content is about 70-80 percent of their weight.
Starch Content: Potatoes contain about 17% starch.
– On an average, each human eats about 33 kilograms of potatoes in a year.
– The world’s biggest potato weighed about 3.8 kilos.
– China is the leading producer of potatoes in the world.
– Potatoes consumption has grown rapidly from 30 million tonnes in the 1960s to 165 million tonnes in 2000s.
– Potatoes are 100% gluten-free.
Any other uses of potatoes?
Remove rust: Clean rust off of your household appliances by using a potato.
Depuff your eyes: Put a slice of potatoes on your eyes for 10-15 minutes.
Shine your shoes: Rub your shoes with a raw potato before you apply the polish.
How to buy potatoes:
– Squeeze potatoes for firmness
– Smell potatoes before buying them
– Check for cuts and blemishes
– Buy sprouting potatoes only if you’re going to eat them immediately.
– Don’t buy wrinkled potatoes.
– Avoid potatoes with green skin.
– Don’t buy potatoes with darks spots.
How to store potatoes to keep them fresh:
– Store potatoes in a dark, dry place.
– Keep the temperature cool.
– Check your potatoes for signs of spoilage.
Tips to cook perfect potatoes:
– Wash the potatoes just before cooking them.
– Use a small quantity of water for boiling.
– Any deep bruises should be removed with a knife.
– To avoid discoloration, cut potatoes should not be exposed to air.
Honey Chilli Potatoes
This crunchy recipe is prepared by deep frying potatoes coated in honey, chilli sauce, vinegar and garlic.
Aloo Samosa is an ultimate street food. It is one of the most preferred Indian snack made with potatoes, all purpose flour, raisins, cashews and melange of spices.
Dump it all on the table and dig in. These crunchy delights can be served with numerous dips.
This pakora recipe is best enjoyed when paired with a piping hot cup of masala tea.
Made with the goodness of potatoes, onion, green chilli, coriander leaves, all purpose flour and a melange of spices, this paratha is an apt breakfast recipe.
These buttery, delicious, creamy mashed potatoes will steal the show at any dinner.
This lip smacking dish is made with potatoes, bread crumbs, corn flour, coriander leaves, mint leaves and a melange of spices. These scrumptious tikkis can be enjoyed along with any chutney of your choice.
An amazingly tasty and satisfying dish that is made with potatoes, chaat masala, tamarind chutney, green chutney and corainder leaves.
With a generous amount of minced chicken and plenty of potatoes, this dish is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party.
Toss them in a flavor-packed Indian seasonings and your taste buds will thank you.