We’ve collected these social media statistics for small businesses from a variety of sources.
Last updated: November 20, 2016
GENERAL SOCIAL MEDIA STATISTICS 2016
- 97 percent of online adults aged 16-64 say they have visited or used a social network within the last month.
- Internet users have average of 7 social accounts, up from 3 in 2012.
- More than half of online adults (56 percent) use more than one of the five social media platforms measured in this survey:
- 8 in 10 internet users globally visit/use social networks on their mobile devices.
- People are most likely to use social media in order to keep up with friends (43 percent) or news (41 percent), or to fill time (39 percent).
- Around 1 in every 3 minutes spent online is devoted to social networking and messaging, with digital consumers engaging for a daily average of 1 hour and 58 minutes.
FACEBOOK STATISTICS 2016
- Globally, Facebook remains the top network for membership (84 percent) but YouTube edges ahead for visitors (87 percent).
- Usage statistics:
- 79 percent of Internet users (68 percent of all U.S. adults) use Facebook.
- Worldwide, there are over 1.79 billion monthly active Facebook users, which is a 16 percent increase year over year.
- 1.8 billion people log onto Facebook daily active users for September 2016, which represents a 17 percent increase year over year.
- Nearly 85 percent of Facebook’s daily active users are outside the US and Canada.
- There are 1.66 billion mobile active users for September 2016, an increase of 20 percent year-over-year.
- Everyone on Facebook is connected to one another by an average of 57 degrees of separation.
- The average Facebook user has 130 friends.
TWITTER STATISTICS 2016
- 24 percent of Internet users (21 percent of all U.S. adults) use Twitter.
- 82 percent of Twitter’s active users use the platform on their mobile device.
- 79 percent of Twitter accounts are outside the US.
- Twitter has about 317 million monthly active users.
- Twitter users send 6,000 tweets per second.
- 84 percent of the world’s heads of state are active Twitter users.
LINKEDIN STATISTICS 2016
- 29 percent of Internet users (25 percent of all U.S. adults) use LinkedIn.
- LinkedIn has 106 million active monthly users.
- Number of long-form posts that are generated weekly on LinkedIn: 160,000 posts per week.
- Number of Pulse Influencers in LinkedIn: 500+.
- Professionals are signing up to join LinkedIn at a rate of more than two new members per second.
PINTEREST STATISTICS 2016
- 31 percent of Internet users (26 percent of all U.S. adults) use Pinterest.
- There are about 100 million monthly active users on the Pinterest platform.
- Average number of monthly searches on Pinterest: 2 billion
- Number of Pinterest pins created: 75 billion.
- Women use Pinterest at much higher rates than men. Nearly half of online women use the virtual pinboard (45 percent), more than double the share of online men (17 percent) who do so.
INSTAGRAM STATISTICS 2016
- 32 percent of Internet users (28 percent of all U.S. adults) use Instagram.
- 80 percent of Instagram users come from outside of the U.S.
- Instagram has over 500 million active monthly users.
- Instagram users have shared over 40 billion photos to date.
- Instagram users share an average of 95 million photos and videos per day.
- 1 in 4 Instagram users share their photos on other networks.
As the statistics above show, social media continues to be one of the top reasons people head online. In addition, a growing number of users now socialize, get news, or just play around on the go using social apps on their mobile devices.
With 2017 just around the corner, you have to wonder, what will the social media statistics look like next year? Which network will be on top and which will fall off the list? If the history of these sites has told us anything, it’s to expect the unexpected.
Hashtag Photo via Shutterstock
More in: Small Business Statistics